May 27, 2024
Real Madrid to focus on rebuilding its attack after losing Benzema

Real Madrid is heading into the offseason with the knowledge that it needs to bolster its attack following the departure of key forwards, including Karim Benzema. The prolific striker, who has been the team’s top scorer in recent seasons and was awarded the prestigious Ballon d’Or last year, confirmed that he will not be returning after 14 years at the club. His final match saw him find the back of the net in a 1-1 draw against Athletic Bilbao on the last day of the Spanish league.

In addition to Benzema, the club will also bid farewell to Eden Hazard, Marco Asensio, and Mariano Díaz, leaving a void in the attacking department. Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti acknowledged the need for action in this area but emphasized that the club will take its time to make the right decisions.

Karim Benzema against Athletic Bilbao at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium
After Real Madrid’s Spanish La Liga soccer match against Athletic Bilbao at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid, Karim Benzema was jubilantly thrown in the air by his teammates on Sunday, June 4, 2023.

“That’s where we have to act and we’re going to do it without any rush,” Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti said. “We have time to do it without any rush. We’re looking for a striker who can score goals and link up well with the others.”

With a clear objective to reinforce their attacking options, Real Madrid faces the challenge of finding a skilled striker capable of both scoring goals and synergizing effectively with their emerging talents. The upcoming transfer period will be a critical time for the club as they seek to rebuild and strengthen their attack to maintain their competitive edge in the upcoming season.

“At the moment we only have two forwards, but I’m not worried at all because we have all the time we need to sort it out,” Ancelotti said. “You win games with and without forwards. Forwards are more likely to score, but what makes the difference is when a team plays solidly, compactly, with effort and as a team.”

As Real Madrid prepares for the departure of 35-year-old Frenchman Karim Benzema, who is set to embark on a new chapter in Saudi Arabia, reports indicate that Harry Kane is among the strikers being considered as a possible replacement. Benzema bid farewell to the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium after converting a second-half penalty kick against Athletic Bilbao, receiving a standing ovation from the crowd.

There are two players, defender Nacho and attacking midfielder Dani Ceballos, who have received contract renewal offers but have not yet made a decision about staying with the team.

In addition, two veteran midfielders, Toni Kroos and Luka Modric, have contracts that are set to expire. Madrid is reportedly interested in signing Borussia Dortmund midfielder Jude Bellingham, among other midfielders, as they look to strengthen their squad. The departure of Benzema and other players will significantly reduce the team’s salary bill.

During the season, Madrid achieved success by winning three titles: the UEFA Super Cup, Club World Cup, and Copa del Rey. However, they finished second in the Spanish league, trailing 10 points behind champions Barcelona, and were eliminated in the semifinals of the Champions League.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *